Present at the discussion: 16 persons, from Sweden, Belgium and Greece.
The discussion focused mainly upon the aspect of secularity and religious symbols, and agreed about the following points:
- Who are we to decide about this? We should listen to others, not tell them what to do or not to do.
- When we speak about women’s situation, we should do it right ourselves before we tell others what to do.
- When we discuss about the school, we should ask the children – it’s their school.
- Religious symbols are a “no-problem” in our home countries as well as in the Freinet movement.
- It’s a provocation that we have to discuss these matters here.
- It is more important to discuss women’s rights, but not as an aspect of religious symbols.
- It’s the ideas (religious and political) that are important – not what people are wearing.
- We are all in the same movement.
Notes taken by Mia Vävare, Sweden.